Rich in History
Dillon County, South Carolina was founded in 1910, carved from Marion County, and named for James W. Dillon (1826-1913), an Irishman who settled there, prospered and headed a local movement to bring in the railroad which resulted in construction of the Wilson Short Cut Railroad (later part of the Atlantic Coastline RR). The county seat was also named for him.
Swamps and rivers kept this section of the Pee Dee isolated for many years, but the construction of a railroad in the nineteenth century brought increased development. The residents primarily engaged in cotton and tobacco farming and in timber harvesting.